Chicago gas averages $4.44/gallon | Indiana, Illinois gas prices continues to climb
June 5, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago gas prices are the highest in the nation, according to AAA Chicago.
And they're not expected to drop any time soon.
"I just counted how much I can spend today for my gas- $25," Sagita Rajic said. She's giving up other things, she said. "Don't spend on the clothes, don't spend on women's stuff, like cosmetics."
According to AAA, the price for gasoline in the Midwest continues to climb even as the national average drops. That's true for both Illinois and Indiana.
A gallon of regular unleaded gasoline averages at $4.05 in Illinois and $3.96 in Indiana. While much of the rest of the U.S. had dropped gas prices, they're going up in the Midwest.
"I just drove from Florida up to Chicago a couple of weeks ago, and the gas was much cheaper elsewhere," Ann Rundle said.
Analysts say Chicago's pump prices reflect the region's stature. With all the people, cars and industry in the city, the Environmental Protection Agency requires cleaner burning "reformulated summer gasoline" to be sold in the area stretching north to Milwaukee, west to Rockford, east into Michigan and south past the collar counties.
"What we use in Chicago is different than what is used in downstate Illinois, it is different than what is used in Missouri, different than Detroit, different than plain, old conventional gasoline," Patrick DeHaan, Gasbuddy.com, said.
Prices are 38-cents higher than a year ago, DeHaan said. Forecasting how high they'll go is difficult, he said.
"Prices could ride another nickel to a dime," DeHaan said.
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 in Skokie 46 min ago
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CTA Blue Line train service resumes 7 min ago
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles 40 min ago
- Rogers Park stabbing seriously injures woman, 21 56 min ago
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Teen dies day after Little Village shooting
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools 34 min ago
- Ga lottery winner to get Mega Millions $120M lump sum
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- 7 in :77
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 in Skokie
46 min ago