Chicago gas averages $4.44/gallon | Indiana, Illinois gas prices continues to climb
June 5, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago gas prices are the highest in the nation, according to AAA Chicago.
And they're not expected to drop any time soon.
"I just counted how much I can spend today for my gas- $25," Sagita Rajic said. She's giving up other things, she said. "Don't spend on the clothes, don't spend on women's stuff, like cosmetics."
According to AAA, the price for gasoline in the Midwest continues to climb even as the national average drops. That's true for both Illinois and Indiana.
A gallon of regular unleaded gasoline averages at $4.05 in Illinois and $3.96 in Indiana. While much of the rest of the U.S. had dropped gas prices, they're going up in the Midwest.
"I just drove from Florida up to Chicago a couple of weeks ago, and the gas was much cheaper elsewhere," Ann Rundle said.
Analysts say Chicago's pump prices reflect the region's stature. With all the people, cars and industry in the city, the Environmental Protection Agency requires cleaner burning "reformulated summer gasoline" to be sold in the area stretching north to Milwaukee, west to Rockford, east into Michigan and south past the collar counties.
"What we use in Chicago is different than what is used in downstate Illinois, it is different than what is used in Missouri, different than Detroit, different than plain, old conventional gasoline," Patrick DeHaan, Gasbuddy.com, said.
Prices are 38-cents higher than a year ago, DeHaan said. Forecasting how high they'll go is difficult, he said.
"Prices could ride another nickel to a dime," DeHaan said.
- Spring-like temperatures to give way to snow 3 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court to consider Blagojevich transcripts 36 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman 22 min ago
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap 41 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as...
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos