Three generations of women suit up at Chicagoland Speedway
June 7, 2013 (JOLIET, Ill.) (WLS) -- It's a family experience 3 women won't soon forget.
Three generations of women ages 25 to 82 arrive at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet for a race car thrill of their life.
Kayla Calver decided to buy racing packages for her mother Sue and grandmother Marge as Christmas presents.
She thought it would be cool for all three to head out, get suited up and take turns in a race car through the Richard Petty Experience.
"I hope I make it out alive," said Kayla Calver, granddaughter.
The grandmother was concerned about the first step: climbing into the car.
It's not easy to have to twist and turn your body to get through the window.
She had some help.
The family came from out-of-town for their once in a lifetime racing experience.
They say they are avid racing fans.
Grandmom had advice for the driver: she tells him when she lifts her hand it means go faster.
And fast they went. Riding shotgun in a two-seat Nascar race car driven by a professional instructor for a 3 lap qualifying run.
They reached speeds of 165 miles an hour.
You could see their reaction alongside the driver.
However, it was over quickly.
Mother and daughter loved the experience and said they would do it again.
"That was great. I wanted to scream the entire time. It is something I knew my grandmother always wanted to do. We love going to the races, so I figured why not," said Kayla Calver.
"It was great. Anybody who ever thought about it, should do it. It was a blast. I wish they would of gone faster," said Sue Calver, Kayla's mother.
Mother and daughter said next time they want to do the driving.
Grandmother will be in the grandstand next time.
Kayla Calver says the cost was worth the experience.
This is something her grandmother and mother will never forget, and an experience she can tell her grandchildren.
Plus she has the pictures and video of the one-in-a-lifetime race to share with them.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 6 shot at Austin party 27 min ago
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead 40 min ago
- Medical marijuana law poses workplace dilemma
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Illinois halts plan to require ATV permits
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Video: Newsviews - Tom Cross 26 min ago
- Video: Newsviews - Bob Grogan
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds 43 min ago
- Newsviews - Tom Cross
26 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos