Possible IBM layoffs locally
RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK -- Layoff notices went out to thousands of IBM employees worldwide Wednesday.
The company, one of the original tenants in RTP, brings big business to our area.
Right now, it is not known exactly how many layoffs will happen locally.
Based on a cost cutting figure given by IBM earlier this year, some major business publications are reporting the number could be 6,000 to 8,000 worldwide. IBM is notoriously tight lipped, however.
A spokesperson for the IBM operation in RTP would only resend a company statement that says in a highly competitive environment some level of workforce remix is a constant requirement.
However, word is out around RTP that there will be some layoffs locally.
IBM has not filed any layoff notices with the state.
research triangle park, local/state, ed crump
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park 37 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released 38 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing 18 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van 2 min ago
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party 6 min ago
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Pay-by-phone coming for Chicago parking meters 1 min ago
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- California earthquake centered in Eureka measures 6.9 magnitude
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- 7 in :77
31 min ago
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park
37 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment...
38 min ago