Driver dead after car crashes into home on South Side
June 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The driver of a car that crashed into a home Thursday morning is dead, Chicago Fire Department officials said.
The accident happened at 87th Street and Michigan Avenue on Chicago's South Side.
Early Thursday morning, heavy police activity and emergency response teams could be seen as Chopper 7 HD flew over the area.
The car, which may have been traveling at a high rate of speed, hit the building sideways. A witness told police the vehicle lost control while turning onto 87th Street from Indiana.
Officials declared the scene a level 1 hazmat and People's Gas was called to secure a ruptured gas line.
ABC7 Traffic Reporter Roz Varon said 87th Street was blocked between the Dan Ryan and Indiana Avenue as officials worked the scene. Traffic was detoured as a result, but roads have since opened.
The victim's name has not been released. No one else was hurt in the accident, according to authorities.
local, roz varon
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos