Street gang crackdown nabs 40 alleged gang members
June 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police, the FBI, and the Cook County State's Attorney target a gang they say has been terrorizing residents on the city's West Side.
Over 40 alleged gang members have been arrested on charges ranging from murder to drug trafficking.
The Black Souls street gang has been in existence in Chicago for decades, with more than 18,000 members.
Law enforcement officials say they captured more than 40 members and senior leaders, including an individual police say is the chief of the gang, Cornel Dawson.
Chicago Police Department Superintendent Garry McCarthy called the operation a "milestone moment."
local, theresa gutierrez
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport 3 min ago
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs 7 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters 2 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Dangerous cold for Bears game 1 min ago
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless
- Rod Blagojevich arrest marks 5th anniversary
- Computer science to become CPS core subject
- Police: Evanston drug deal might have led to armed robbery
- Chicago pastor investigated for child sex abuse
- 1 dead, several injured in Racine pile-up
- 2-year-old girl killed by dog on South Side
- Shirley MacLaine on Kennedy Center Honors: 'It's about time'
- 'Frozen' takes top box office spot with $31.6M
- 7 in :77
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare...
3 min ago
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos