Street gang crackdown nabs 40 alleged gang members
June 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police, the FBI, and the Cook County State's Attorney target a gang they say has been terrorizing residents on the city's West Side.
Over 40 alleged gang members have been arrested on charges ranging from murder to drug trafficking.
The Black Souls street gang has been in existence in Chicago for decades, with more than 18,000 members.
Law enforcement officials say they captured more than 40 members and senior leaders, including an individual police say is the chief of the gang, Cornel Dawson.
Chicago Police Department Superintendent Garry McCarthy called the operation a "milestone moment."
local, theresa gutierrez
- Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 37 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57 17 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 11 min ago
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
11 min ago
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon
8 min ago