Race Against Hate honors dad killed by white supremacist
June 16, 2013 (WLS) -- On Sunday, June 16, 2013, runners are out and about in north suburban Evanston to honor the memory of a Northwestern University basketball coach. The 14th annual "Race Against Hate" honors Ricky Byrdsong, who was killed by a white supremacist in 1999.
The event was created to honor Byrdsong's legacy of working with young people, but most importantly, it brings attention to the need to end hatred and violence.
The race has gotten bigger and better every year. Approximately 4,800 people were participating Sunday.
The fact that it was held on Father's Day meant the world to Ricky Byrdsong's family.
"The way I look at it is that Ricky now is in the presence of his Father, his God, his Heavenly Father, and there's no better day than Father's Day to celebrate his life . A father's heart is to show love and to teach his children how to love, and love is the exact opposite of hate, which took away his life. So, I think father's day is just the perfect day to show how you can transform hate into love," said widow Sherialyn Byrdsong.
Participants from 16 different states came attended the race, which benefits the YWCA Evanston/North Shore, an organization that is starting a new Community Conversations on Race series in July. They host three free lunches every month to give people a chance to talk about current issues through a racial equity lens, and they host a movie series "Reel" Talk about race every two months. Information can be found on their website at www.ywca.org/evanston.
For more information: www.ywca.org/raceagainsthate
14th annual Ricky Byrdsong Memorial Race Against Hate
June 16, 2013
10K starts 6/16/2013 7:30 am
5K walk/run starts 6/16/2013 7:45 am
Youth Mile (9-13 year olds) starts 6/16/2013 9:00 am
Youth Mile (8 & under) starts 6/16/2013 9:15 am
Awards presentation 6/16/2013 9:30 am
Long Field, corner of Lincoln Ave. and Sheridan Road
Admission: $39 for 5K/10K, $15 for Youth Mile
local, diane pathieu
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 51 min ago
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds