Peabody prepares closure after 118 years
June 15, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- One of nearly 50 Chicago Public Schools slated for closure is commemorating 118 years of education today before its doors close for good this summer.
Students, staff, and community members came out to honor the history of Peabody Elementary School.
The celebration included music, games, and last chance to play at a school parents and teachers call a special place.
"There's a lot of love, care, and a wonderful sense of family at our school," said parent Nicole Lawrence. "It's sad, you know, (you) grow a bond with teachers and the principal as a family and you know, it's just sad."
Some of Peabody's teachers are among the more than 800 CPS instructors laid off yesterday as part of the school closures CPS says are aimed at improving performance while trying to close a budget deficit.
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western 53 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches
- Missing boy's body found off Mass. highway
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake