Peabody prepares closure after 118 years
June 15, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- One of nearly 50 Chicago Public Schools slated for closure is commemorating 118 years of education today before its doors close for good this summer.
Students, staff, and community members came out to honor the history of Peabody Elementary School.
The celebration included music, games, and last chance to play at a school parents and teachers call a special place.
"There's a lot of love, care, and a wonderful sense of family at our school," said parent Nicole Lawrence. "It's sad, you know, (you) grow a bond with teachers and the principal as a family and you know, it's just sad."
Some of Peabody's teachers are among the more than 800 CPS instructors laid off yesterday as part of the school closures CPS says are aimed at improving performance while trying to close a budget deficit.
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos