Cops: Man sexually abused girl in her Albany Park bedroom
June 17, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police issued a community alert Monday after a girl was sexually abused while she was sleeping in her bedroom on Chicago's Northwest Side.
Officers say the man crawled through the victim's window in the 4800-block of North Ridgeway and sexually abused her while she was sleeping in her bed between the hours of 2 a.m. and 3 a.m. Sunday in the Albany Park neighborhood.
Police do not have a good description of the suspect. However, they say the suspect could possibly be a Hispanic male.
The father of the teen victim says his daughter has special needs and can't speak, but she screamed for help during the attack. Her friend, who was also in the room at the time, said a man came through the window, committed the crime, then ran away.
"She's OK now but now she's scared to go to her bed," said the victim's father.
According to police, the man barged into the family's ground-level window, which was closed but unlocked. The incident has left residents perplexed. Neighbor Guadalupe Arellano has a daughter and a niece. She says the area is not as safe as it used to be.
"It's terrible, we have to be careful, lock the doors and lock the windows," said Arrellano.
Other neighbors say they are holding their daughters tightly after the alleged crime.
"We're very scared. We have kids of our own and I'm scared to leave them alone now. I walk them to school," said Andrea Molina, neighbor.
The victim's father says he is praying that the perpetrator is apprehended.
"I think probably it was done before, and not the first time... I hope police will catch him," he said.
Police are urging residents to lock all doors and windows. Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call detectives at (312) 744-8261. Residents are also asked to call police if they see anything unusual in the neighborhood.
- Snow, cold fail to deter holiday shoppers
- Chicago pastor under investigation for child sex abuse 26 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 54 min ago
- Several injured in Racine pile-up
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident
- Chicago marks passing of Nelson Mandela
- Church holds service outside after roof collapse
- Bears, Cowboys prepped for frigid Monday game
- Patients celebrate holidays at Ronald McDonald House 13 min ago
- Man dies after Evanston shooting, car crash
- Illinois Tollway readies full fleet of snowplows
- Ice storm, sleet, deep freeze in Mid-Atlantic, East Coast areas
- Kennedy Center Honors for Joel, MacLaine, Santana, Hancock,...
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
54 min ago