Cops: Man sexually abused girl in her Albany Park bedroom
June 17, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police issued a community alert Monday after a girl was sexually abused while she was sleeping in her bedroom on Chicago's Northwest Side.
Officers say the man crawled through the victim's window in the 4800-block of North Ridgeway and sexually abused her while she was sleeping in her bed between the hours of 2 a.m. and 3 a.m. Sunday in the Albany Park neighborhood.
Police do not have a good description of the suspect. However, they say the suspect could possibly be a Hispanic male.
The father of the teen victim says his daughter has special needs and can't speak, but she screamed for help during the attack. Her friend, who was also in the room at the time, said a man came through the window, committed the crime, then ran away.
"She's OK now but now she's scared to go to her bed," said the victim's father.
According to police, the man barged into the family's ground-level window, which was closed but unlocked. The incident has left residents perplexed. Neighbor Guadalupe Arellano has a daughter and a niece. She says the area is not as safe as it used to be.
"It's terrible, we have to be careful, lock the doors and lock the windows," said Arrellano.
Other neighbors say they are holding their daughters tightly after the alleged crime.
"We're very scared. We have kids of our own and I'm scared to leave them alone now. I walk them to school," said Andrea Molina, neighbor.
The victim's father says he is praying that the perpetrator is apprehended.
"I think probably it was done before, and not the first time... I hope police will catch him," he said.
Police are urging residents to lock all doors and windows. Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call detectives at (312) 744-8261. Residents are also asked to call police if they see anything unusual in the neighborhood.
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault 26 min ago
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire 23 min ago
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 29 min ago
- I-Team: Illinois Poison Center hotline's cry for help
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Driver charged with drunken driving at 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand