Cops: Man sexually abused girl in her Albany Park bedroom
June 17, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police issued a community alert Monday after a girl was sexually abused while she was sleeping in her bedroom on Chicago's Northwest Side.
Officers say the man crawled through the victim's window in the 4800-block of North Ridgeway and sexually abused her while she was sleeping in her bed between the hours of 2 a.m. and 3 a.m. Sunday in the Albany Park neighborhood.
Police do not have a good description of the suspect. However, they say the suspect could possibly be a Hispanic male.
The father of the teen victim says his daughter has special needs and can't speak, but she screamed for help during the attack. Her friend, who was also in the room at the time, said a man came through the window, committed the crime, then ran away.
"She's OK now but now she's scared to go to her bed," said the victim's father.
According to police, the man barged into the family's ground-level window, which was closed but unlocked. The incident has left residents perplexed. Neighbor Guadalupe Arellano has a daughter and a niece. She says the area is not as safe as it used to be.
"It's terrible, we have to be careful, lock the doors and lock the windows," said Arrellano.
Other neighbors say they are holding their daughters tightly after the alleged crime.
"We're very scared. We have kids of our own and I'm scared to leave them alone now. I walk them to school," said Andrea Molina, neighbor.
The victim's father says he is praying that the perpetrator is apprehended.
"I think probably it was done before, and not the first time... I hope police will catch him," he said.
Police are urging residents to lock all doors and windows. Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call detectives at (312) 744-8261. Residents are also asked to call police if they see anything unusual in the neighborhood.
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos