Woman sexually abused in Mayfair park
June 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police said Tuesday they were investigating a report of sexual abuse on the city's Northwest Side after a woman was attacked in a park.
It happened in a somewhat hidden, triangular park the 4600-block of West Agatite near the Kennedy Expressway in the Mayfair neighborhood.
Police say a man grabbed the woman by the throat at approximately 10 p.m. Monday and pushed her down. The man tried to take off the 24-year-old woman's clothes and touch her, authorities said. When she screamed, he punched her in the face, and she ran away.
The woman ran to a CTA stop where officers found her, and she was taken to the hospital with cuts on her face and knees. She was expected to be OK.
Chicago police have not released any descriptions of the suspect, and they say they are not sure if this is an isolated incident.
On Sunday in the Albany Park neighborhood about a mile away, a man snuck into a special needs teenager's window and raped her. The victim screamed for help, and the man got away. That incident happened in the 4800-block of North Ridgeway. Early Tuesday, police had not linked the two separate attacks.
Police say they are looking at surveillance video from the area, hoping that it will lead them to some clues about the attacker. He might have been wearing an orange sweatshirt, police said.
A source says people often park along Agatite and walk the path through the dark park to get to the Montrose CTA station.
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds