Car crashes into Sauk Village apartment, sleeping couple injured
June 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A south suburban couple escaped with their lives when a car crashed into their bedroom early Tuesday morning.
It happened in the 21000-block of Peterson Avenue in south suburban Sauk Village.
It is not something anyone ever expects to see sticking through their bedroom window.
"One fireman that was here said, if it was another two inches it would have been on top of both of us," said Nicole Powers, resident.
Five months pregnant with their second child, Nicole Powers and fiancée Chris Goffer were asleep in their Sauk Village home, when just after 1:30 a.m. a Buick Century jumped the curb and crashed into their first level bedroom.
"My first thought was somebody was breaking into the house. I ran upstairs, without knowing that there was a car in our room," said Goffer.
"He turned the light on and I turned around and I was like, 'It's a car!'" said Powers.
On Tuesday afternoon, there is still glass everywhere. It was that glass that rained over them, bruising their heads and arms.
"I just saw blood everywhere. We didn't know who was bleeding or what happened and I was yelling through the window, 'Are you ok, are you ok?'" said Powers.
Fortunately, according to police, the 21-year-old driver and his passenger sustained only minor injuries.
"Speaking to the driver, he's advising us that there is another vehicle that ran him off the road. He was coming down Peterson Ave and made a maneuver to avoid the vehicle," said Deputy Chief Timothy Holevis, Sauk Village Police Department.
Nicole, Chris and their three-year-old son Eric, just moved into this home a week and a half ago. But for them, the main thing right now is that their family is OK, and because it's not safe for them to stay here for now, the Red Cross has agreed to put them up for a couple of days.
"I feel blessed. Obviously we had an angel watching over us," said Goffer.
local, michelle gallardo
- Boy pulled from pond after 90 minutes dies
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Boy, 12, among 8 shot across city
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Good Friday 2014 marked in Jerusalem, around world
- Mt. Everest avalanche kills at least 12 Sherpas, 3 missing
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship