Endangered addax antelope calf born at Brookfield Zoo
June 20, 2013 (BROOKFIELD, Ill.) (WLS) -- An endangered antelope known as an addax was born June 7th at Brookfield Zoo, and more births are expected in the coming weeks.
The male calf weighed 19 pounds at birth, and was born on exhibit in front of many zoo guests, Brookfield Zoo said.
The addax antelope species is on the brink of extinction in Africa's Sahara deserts. The baby addax joins the nearly 200 addax antelopes living in 19 accredited North American zoos. About 300 are known in the wild.
Addax, the zoo says, are the most desert-adapted antelope. Its hooves are wide, extra large, and spread out, which helps it stay on top of loose sand. Also, its legs, shorter than most antelope, bestow upon it a low center of gravity and help to steady the antelope, even on shifting sands. They derive moisture from sap of vegetation and from dew, and go nearly their whole life without drinking water.
The baby addax at Brookfield was born to Sara, 4, and Winston, 11. That pairing was based on a breeding recommendation from the Association of Zoos and Aquariums' Addax Species Survival Plan, which manages breeding in zoos to maintain a genetically diverse, demographically stable, self-sustaining population.
Brookfield Zoo has had addax on exhibit since 1935 and has contributed 141 calves to the North American population of addax antelope since 1941, when the zoo had the first addax birth in the United States.
- Boy, 12, killed in hit-and-run in Whiting
- Meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Chicago boy remembered 1 year after suspicious death
- Lyons residents respond to police cuts
- Kirk introduces stroke research, treatment legislation
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos