Endangered addax antelope calf born at Brookfield Zoo
June 20, 2013 (BROOKFIELD, Ill.) (WLS) -- An endangered antelope known as an addax was born June 7th at Brookfield Zoo, and more births are expected in the coming weeks.
The male calf weighed 19 pounds at birth, and was born on exhibit in front of many zoo guests, Brookfield Zoo said.
The addax antelope species is on the brink of extinction in Africa's Sahara deserts. The baby addax joins the nearly 200 addax antelopes living in 19 accredited North American zoos. About 300 are known in the wild.
Addax, the zoo says, are the most desert-adapted antelope. Its hooves are wide, extra large, and spread out, which helps it stay on top of loose sand. Also, its legs, shorter than most antelope, bestow upon it a low center of gravity and help to steady the antelope, even on shifting sands. They derive moisture from sap of vegetation and from dew, and go nearly their whole life without drinking water.
The baby addax at Brookfield was born to Sara, 4, and Winston, 11. That pairing was based on a breeding recommendation from the Association of Zoos and Aquariums' Addax Species Survival Plan, which manages breeding in zoos to maintain a genetically diverse, demographically stable, self-sustaining population.
Brookfield Zoo has had addax on exhibit since 1935 and has contributed 141 calves to the North American population of addax antelope since 1941, when the zoo had the first addax birth in the United States.
- Woman assaulted near Matteson Metra stop, bike path
- NIU hazing death case in court
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Driver taking photos after Noble Square crash struck, killed
- Ind. man allegedly took assault weapon on NJ-Chicago flight
- South Side fire latest in suspicious string
- Mom of 3 fatally shot hours after Gary hospital altercation
- Unconscious man found near Metra-Union Pacific tracks in Glencoe
- Wyoming explosion prompts evacuation of Opal, town of 95
- Blackhawks beat Blues in OT with Patrick Kane goal
- 1888 shipwreck pictures in SF Bay released
- Russell Wilson divorce from wife Ashton Russell announced
- AAPL shareholders to see Apple stock split
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos