Firefighters meet couple rescued from floodwaters
June 20, 2013 (OSWEGO, Ill.) (WLS) -- Firefighters in Oswego met the husband and wife they rescued from rising flood waters in April.
Kimberly Murray just wanted to say thank you.
"I really wanted to see and meet everyone involved with saving my life. If not for them saving my life, I wouldn't be here," she said.
Murray and her family formally met for the first time the Oswego Fire Protection firefighters who rescued them from a flood-swollen drainpipe roughly two months ago.
"We're so happy just to be alive. These guys saved our lives," Matt Murray said.
The emergency happened April 18 as Murray, her husband and their oldest son used a paddle boat to clean out the drainage pipe of their backyard pond.
"We were cleaning out the drain and got struck; next thing it's flipping. We flipped off," said son Matthew Murray.
Veteran swift water rescue squad members Battalion Chief Dan Schiradelly and firefighter paramedic Dave Jordan were among the emergency responders dispatched after calls to 911 were made by the younger Murray had been thrown free.
"The boat was on top of both of them... water up to lip level," said Schiradelly.
Eighteen tense minutes later the Murrays were freed from the drainpipe's suction. The accident left Kimberly Murray seriously injured. She was released after a five-week hospital stay and several surgeries to repair broken ribs.
"Firemen do this every day," said Jordan. "It's a happy ending."
local, evelyn holmes
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox 36 min ago
- Chicago typhoon relief shipments reach the Philippines 6 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed 59 min ago
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- ABC7 To Go 3-10-14
53 min ago