Cicero pizzeria owner Giovanni Donancricchia killed in armed robbery
June 20, 2013 (CICERO, Ill.) (WLS) -- The owner of Albano's in Cicero, a popular west suburban pizzeria, was shot and killed when he confronted an armed robber late Wednesday night.
The popular pizzeria Albano's is closed. Customers are hearing the news that the owner was killed after just after midnight on Wednesday night.
Giovanni Donancricchia, 64, built his business from scratch after emigrating from Sicily. This year he celebrated 25 years in business.
But overnight, an armed robbery attempt ended with the murder of the family's patriarch.
"It's the worst day of my life," said Saverio Donancricchia, the victim's son. He says his mother first encountered the would-be robber.
Like other merchants in this area of Cicero, Donancricchia had security cameras installed.
Police are searching the security camera footage as they continue their investigation and are asking anyone with information to contact authorities.
local, leah hope
- Spring-like day followed by snow 7 min ago
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial 22 min ago
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket 9 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex trafficking 31 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 18 min ago
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox
- Photos: Semi overturns, dumps beads on Tri-State
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- Spring-like day followed by snow
7 min ago
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by...
38 min ago
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
22 min ago