Jesse Jackson Jr. gains high-profile support ahead of sentencing
June 21, 2013 (WLS) -- Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. is getting more high profile support Friday in court filings before his sentencing.
The former congressman and his wife Sandi Jackson will be sentenced on July 3.
In papers filed in Federal Court in Washington, Jackson gets support from TV personality Tavis Smiley and powerhouse attorney Vernon Jordan.
Smiley said "Mr. Jackson's actions cannot be condoned, they are inconsistent with the character of the public servant that I have worked alongside for the betterment of our democracy."
A filing from Vernon Jordan reads: "Mr. Jackson's conduct was inexcusable, but his efforts on behalf of those less fortunate than himself should not be forgotten."
- Snow in forecast as shoppers brave deep freeze 2 min ago
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident 11 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- ON DEMAND: ABC 7 Chicago's 'Heart and Soul'
- Young singer with autism releases inspirational song 12 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- ComEd vault fire in West Loop
- Astor House tenants face eviction
- Cancer patient without heat after power shut off
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault
- Dylan's electric guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Ran Hotel With Grilling Area
- Snow in forecast as shoppers brave deep...
2 min ago
- Young singer with autism releases...
12 min ago