Senate confirms Penny Pritzker to become U.S. Secretary of Commerce
June 25, 2013 (WASHINGTON) -- The Senate has confirmed billionaire business executive Penny Pritzker to be secretary of Commerce, filling a vacancy that has stood since John Bryson resigned last summer.
The sweeping 97-1 vote installs Pritzker, a longtime friend of President Barack Obama who raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for his presidential campaigns, at Commerce in time to assist in trade talks with the European Union and Pacific Rim nations.
Pritzker becomes the fourth woman serving as secretary in Obama's current Cabinet. She is the wealthiest in the Cabinet by far, with Forbes estimating her net worth at $1.85 billion and ranking her as the 277th richest American. The commerce post has been vacant since Bryson resigned after suffering a seizure that led to a series of traffic collisions.
- Chemical plant explosion, fire injures 2 in Alsip 8 min ago
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights
- Blagojevich appeal goes before judges
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Free Mega Millions tickets in Chicago
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River near lake
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch
- 8 LSD crashes reported within 1 mile in 1 hour
- 4-year-old boy accidentally shoots himself in Gary
- I-90/94 lanes to close for bridge piers construction
- Mother charged in baby's death held on $250K bond 25 min ago
- Winter weather advisories; snow follows cold
- Bruno Mars is Billboard's top artist of 2013 46 min ago
- abcnews: Family: American held in Iran was CIA spy