Girl, 16, killed in drag racing crash on Route 120 in Gurnee
June 25, 2013 (GURNEE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A teenager was killed and three others were injured in an alleged drag racing crash on Route 120 in Gurnee, Ill.
Police say the driver of a Honda may have been racing a Ford Focus when he lost control, hitting the median ditch in the west and east lanes on 120 about one-quarter of a mile east of Hunt Club Road.
Two passengers-including the fatality- were ejected from the Honda. They were both in the rear of the car.
Cynthia N. Perez, 16, of Antioch, was pronounced dead on the scene. The driver of the Honda, Jeremy A. Betancourt, 17, of Antioch, and two other male passengers, 18 and 20, were taken to Condell Hospital.
Betancourt is charged with two felonies- reckless homicide and aggravated street racing, and cited for not having a valid driver's license and operating an uninsured vehicle.
The driver of the Ford Focus, Michael R. Dawson, also of Antioch, was charged with aggravated street racing and operating a vehicle with an expired registration.
Betancourt and Dawson are being held on $250,000 bonds.
Anyone with any information regarding this accident is asked to contact the Gurnee Police Department at 847-599-7000.
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 29 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night 35 min ago
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed 9 min ago
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge 40 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77
43 min ago