Hawks fans left in dark during Game 6 due to storms
June 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A fast-moving line of thunderstorms left its mark on the Chicago area Monday, and left some Hawks fans in the dark during Game 6.
On Monday afternoon, strong winds snapped power lines in Hinsdale at Ogden and York roads, making the commute slow-going for these drivers.
Monday's storms also caused wide-spread power outages. At its peak, about 300,000 ComEd customers were affected. The majority of them were located in the southern region.
For Blackhawks fans who couldn't watch the game, it was a major inconvenience.
"We missed flipping everything!," Darien resident Renee Chojnowski said. Power went out an hour before Game 6 started. The whole block was out, so they couldn't watch at a neighbors. That final game, where the Hawks clinched the series and won the Stanley Cup, was the only one the Chojnowskis missed all season.
"Last night we found out the Hawks won. I was dark. We had a couple of beers, said the heck with it and went to bed," Renee Chojnoski said.
Their power was restored around noon Tuesday.
The storm also snapped trees. The city of Berwyn says more than 100 were toppled. One tree in the 3800-block of Grove fell on two houses. No one was hurt.
"We heard this whirring sound, so we ran away from the windows and we heard a big thud that hit the house. We saw a big shadow and we looked out the window and could not believe we saw the tree," Grace Salas said.
local, karen jordan
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- 7 in :77
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25...
35 min ago