Hawks fans left in dark during Game 6 due to storms
June 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A fast-moving line of thunderstorms left its mark on the Chicago area Monday, and left some Hawks fans in the dark during Game 6.
On Monday afternoon, strong winds snapped power lines in Hinsdale at Ogden and York roads, making the commute slow-going for these drivers.
Monday's storms also caused wide-spread power outages. At its peak, about 300,000 ComEd customers were affected. The majority of them were located in the southern region.
For Blackhawks fans who couldn't watch the game, it was a major inconvenience.
"We missed flipping everything!," Darien resident Renee Chojnowski said. Power went out an hour before Game 6 started. The whole block was out, so they couldn't watch at a neighbors. That final game, where the Hawks clinched the series and won the Stanley Cup, was the only one the Chojnowskis missed all season.
"Last night we found out the Hawks won. I was dark. We had a couple of beers, said the heck with it and went to bed," Renee Chojnoski said.
Their power was restored around noon Tuesday.
The storm also snapped trees. The city of Berwyn says more than 100 were toppled. One tree in the 3800-block of Grove fell on two houses. No one was hurt.
"We heard this whirring sound, so we ran away from the windows and we heard a big thud that hit the house. We saw a big shadow and we looked out the window and could not believe we saw the tree," Grace Salas said.
local, karen jordan
- Boy pulled from pond after 90 minutes dies
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen 23 min ago
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Boy, 12, among 8 shot across city
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Good Friday 2014 marked in Jerusalem, around world
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, pioneer of magical realism, dead at 87
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
- ABC7 to Go Digital Newscast April 18, 2014
29 min ago