Lincoln Park businesses vandalized during Hawks celebrations
June 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The overnight fan celebration left some damage and cleanup work Tuesday.
Surveillance footage shows the moment at 1:45 a.m. when a group of people smashed in the windows at the Lakeview Smoke Shop, stealing the pipes and hookahs on display. It was the same story, up and down Clark Street.
From Diversey to Fullerton, business owners spent the day cleaning up, and replacing windows broken by so-called Hawks fans celebrating Monday night's Stanley Cup victory.
"They tossed one of our patio seats into the window and took off after that breaking other windows down the street," said Daniel Gil, Café Vienna.
"To vandalize all of these stores is crazy. A lot of these people are their own businesses and they have to pay for that, because of people celebrating. It's kind of nuts," said Lisandra Rodriguez, For Eyes.
While most celebrations were relatively peaceful, after the game, thousands of people swarmed onto Clark Street in Wrigleyville. Police shut them down around midnight, pushing those who were left, south into Lincoln Park. 43rd Ward Alderman Michele Smith says 31 businesses were vandalized here.
"We're disappointed that the police action plan didn't appear to come all the way south as the revelers were dispersing," said Smith.
Sean Tehrani is three weeks away from opening the Fuel Station Coffee Shop. He's been cleaning up broken glass all day, and is understandably upset.
"There was no presence here. They focused on Wrigley. They took care of that area but they left us high and dry," said Tehrani.
Others chose to make light of the situation.
At American Mattress they're offering a 15% discount on everything Tuesday. The fine print on their signs reads: "Oh, and thanks for the broken window."
local, michelle gallardo
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway 29 min ago
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home 18 min ago