St. James Church demolition begins
June 26, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Demolition work began Wednesday on the historic Saint James Catholic Church in Chicago's Bronzeville community.
Parishioners have been fighting to save the 133-year-old church and plan to continue their fight.
But their church is in bad condition and repairs are costly.
A symbolic 4-by-6 foot hole was cut into the roof as a group of parishioners watched.
- Chicago temps to plunge as arctic air moves in
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado victims
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Man allegedly assaulted first responders in River North
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- Huge fire hydrants auctioned to benefit 100 Club
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville
- Illinois pension battle brewing after law passes
- Soul Children give Chicago show before Europe tour 35 min ago
- Photos: Toddler falls meeting Obama puppy 'Sunny'
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot