Johnny Borizov to be sentenced July 15 in Darien triple murder
June 27, 2013 (WHEATON, Ill.) (WLS) -- Sentencing is set for July 15 after a jury found Johnny Borizov guilty on all counts in plotting the 2010 murder of his ex-girlfriend's parents and brother.
Johnny Borizov showed no emotion as he learned he will likely spend the rest of his life in prison May 14.
The DuPage County jurors got the case around 4 p.m., the same day they heard closing arguments. Less than three hours later, they had a verdict.
DuPage County Assistant State's Attorney Bernie Murray told jurors that Borizov used Jacob Nodarse as a "patsy." During the trial, Nodarse testified against his friend, saying Borizov "manipulated" him into carrying out the March 2010 killing of Jeffrey and Lori Kramer, and their son, Michael, 20.
Defense attorneys say they believe a jail house video that shows a conversation between Jacob Nodarse and Johnny Borizov proved too much to overcome.
"We talked to a couple of jurors who said several of them had doubts in the beginning but felt the tape was the most persuasive evidence," said defense attorney Richard Kling.
Borizov's defense argued that Nodarse's testimony is not believable because of Nodarse's drug use and mental illness.
"He was a dope fiend," defense attorney Susana Ortiz said.
During the murder trial, Nodarse said he moved between "reality" and "nightmares" during the murders inside the family's Darien home. Nodarse pleaded guilty but mentally ill to the murder of Jeffrey Kramer.
Borizov was in a bitter custody battle with the Kramer's daughter, Angela, at the time of the murders.
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates