Police release sketch of West Rogers Park sexual assault suspect
June 27, 2013 (WLS) -- Police have issued a community alert Thursday after a woman was sexually assaulted in her home on June 16 on the city's North Side.
Police say the man broke into the victim's home near Albion and Fairfield in the West Rogers Park neighborhood over a week ago, but just issued a community alert Thursday. Many area residents were not aware of the attack until then.
Residents are scared and uncomfortable in West Rogers Park, after Chicago Police say a man sexually assaulted a resident inside her home.
"Just knowing about this kind of thing happening is sad, and kind of traumatic because I believe this is a safe neighborhood," said Jason Havey, West Rogers Park resident.
"I stay here for 6 years already, but I never heard about this, and it's like, really scary," said Araseli Esquivel, West Rogers Park resident.
Police say the woman was in her home June 16th, when the suspect ripped the screen off the back door and assaulted her in her bedroom.
"It's scary to see something is in our neighborhood, because usually this neighborhood is very safe," said Ruth Kaushal, West Rogers Park resident.
Safe, and family friendly.
"It's quiet. A lot of families, a lot of children," said Bill First, West Rogers Park resident.
Now, police are searching for the suspect, who is between 25 and 30 years old, 5'11" to 6 feet tall, heavy build. He speaks with an accent, has a tattoo on his right forearm, and was last seen wearing a black t-shirt with red accent & dark colored pants.
As the sign states in a neighborhood window, residents are ready to call police and will be on the lookout.
"When I see something going on around here, I never hesitate to call 911, or tell police, 'Hey, I'm seeing something suspicious,'" said Havey.
The victim told police that the suspect also demanded money and forced her into a closet after the assault.
local, stacey baca
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos