Shooting of Hyde Park student ruled homicide
June 29, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Cook County Medical Examiner Saturday night says Malcolm Whitney, the 16-year-old Hyde Park high school student shot inside a home Friday was the victim of a homicide, not an accidental gun discharge.
Whitney was an honor roll student and standout basketball player at the school. One of his coaches calls him a model student-athlete.
"If I you were a parent and had a kid, he's the kind of kid you'd want them to become," Sean Connor said. "At 16 years-old, I think everybody in the past 24 hours has learned what a positive affect he had on so many lives for such a young man. He was humble, confident, and goal-oriented."
Police are investigating the shooting and have questioned at least one person of interest.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 24 min ago
- Brief warmup followed by snow 43 min ago
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday 14 min ago
- Chicagoan helping to empower college students 10 min ago
- Cops: Sober man testing vehicle breathalyzer causes crash
- Mundelein girl in court again after half-sister's murder
- Former suburban Dominick's to become Piggly Wiggly
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- Pi Day celebrated on 3.14 with Chicago specials
- Bears agree to 1-year deal with Tillman 42 min ago
- Photos: Chicago police officer killed in crash
- abcnews: Cops Seek Bad Witch Who Stole Ruby Red...
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
24 min ago
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
14 min ago
- Chicagoan helping to empower college students
10 min ago