Mom, toddler shot in West Englewood
June 30, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A woman and her 2-year-old son were shot Sunday night in the West Englewood neighborhood.
The shooting happened a few minutes before 6 p.m. near 73rd and Hermitage, police said.
The woman, 27, was shot in the arm and the 2-year-old suffered a gunshot wound to the leg, police said. She was taken to Holy Cross Hospital and the baby was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital.
"The neighborhood is really getting really bad. And [it's] a shame when kids can't go outside and just play, especially on a Sunday afternoon, just going to the park to play without getting shot at, and to have to be scared. The parents have to take them out of the neighborhood to go somewhere to play. It's just a shame," Pamela Burrell, victim's friend, said.
Both were listed in "stable" condition Sunday night.
Officials are investigating.
local, michelle gallardo
- Snow cancels, delays flights at airports 11 min ago
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless 28 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Chicago pastor investigated for child sex abuse
- Bears, Cowboys prepped for frigid Monday game
- 1 dead, several injured in Racine pile-up
- 2-year-old girl killed by dog on South Side
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident
- FEMA canvassing tornado areas in central Ill. 32 min ago
- Blackhawks G Crawford leaves game early with injury
- Chicago marks passing of Nelson Mandela
- Shirley MacLaine on Kennedy Center Honors: 'It's about time' 28 min ago
- abcnews: Man trapped in empty plane at Houston Airport
- Snow cancels, delays flights at airports
11 min ago