Guilty verdict in death of Delfino Mora, killed by teens playing game 'Pick 'Em Out, Knock 'Em Out'
July 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A judge has ruled that a 19-year-old is guilty of first degree murder and robbery in the beating death of Delfino Mora, 62.
It was in July 2012 that prosecutors say Anthony Malcolm and two other teens, Malik Jones and Nicholas Ayala, were playing a game called "Pick 'Em Out, Knock 'Em Out."
They say the trio encountered Mora, who happened to be collecting soda cans in a West Rogers Park alley, as they played the game.
The suspects attacked Mora, who cracked his skull and died a day later of a brain injury.
One of the other defendants is accused of delivering a deadly blow to Mora while Malcolm recorded the attack on a cellphone. The video was later posted on Facebook. During the verdict, the judge explained why Malcolm was guilty as an accomplice.
"The fact that he did not do anything during the crime to stop it and did not report it anonymously even to the police," said Risa Lanier, Assistant State's Attorney, at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse.
Mora was a husband and father of 12 children. He supported his family partly by collecting aluminum cans. Six of his children were in court for the verdict Monday. They say they are pleased with the judge's decision.
"We feel a little bit of peace in our heart because the judge made the right decision. But on the other side, we feel a little down because this decision is not gong to bring our father back. . . He was the head of the family. Now we have to keep that in our heads whatever he did in this world, keep it with us," said Emmanuel Mora, son.
The family says the past year has been difficult and they are trying to put the tragedy behind them.
local, karen jordan
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area 38 min ago
- Woman pulled from the river in the Loop
- Pfleger wants 'American' billboard with assault weapon removed
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning 46 min ago
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Gov. Chris Christie Fires Back at Heckler