Kirk working to speed veterans' benefit claims
July 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Senator Mark Kirk is trying to get the Veterans Administration to eliminate big backlogs in claims for veterans' benefits.
Kirk toured Hines VA Hospital Wednesday. He says the Chicago regional office has an average backlog of 483 days, the fourth worst in the country, and across the U.S., more than 600,000 veterans are waiting for benefits to be approved.
Kirk has a bill pending which would upgrade VA computers and help train claims processors.
- Lake Shore Drive reopens after 8-hour standoff
- Young girl found dead in Riverdale 18 min ago
- NCAA Tournament 2014 bracket matchups set 13 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- KevinTrudeau to be sentenced in federal court
- Toddler reported missing on South Side
- Person hit by train in Grayslake, Metra affected
- Semi rolls over at I-80 in Country Club Hills
- 2 found dead in Michigan City shooting
- St. Patrick's Day 2014 parades proceed amid tension over gays
- Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge seeks perfect NCAA guesses
- NIT 2014 bracket puts Illini as No. 2 seed
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Fred Phelps, of Westboro Baptist Church, suffers health issues
- 7 in :77
- Young girl found dead in Riverdale
18 min ago