Body found in Belmont Harbor ID'd as Christopher Evans: Loyola University
July 4, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The body found in Lake Michigan at Belmont Harbor has been identified as 25-year-old missing student Christopher Evans, Loyola University has confirmed.
Loyola University spokeswoman Maeve Kiley said Thursday afternoon that the body recovered from the lake "is Christopher Evans." She said Loyola officials received confirmation of that earlier Thursday afternoon.
A couple hours after the body was recovered on Thursday police canceled the missing person alert, saying that Evans was "no longer unaccounted for." Neither police nor the medical examiner's office would say yet if the body pulled from the water was Evans.
The body was discovered at 8:30 a.m. Thursday morning, a short distance from the water's edge. The Chicago Police Department's Marine Unit was initially called to the scene after a woman reported seeing a body floating in the water.
Evans, 25, was last seen early Sunday morning just a half a mile away from the harbor at a Lakeview bar. Friends said Evans was last seen running in the direction of the lake about 1:30 a.m. Sunday.
Evans was a part-time student at Loyola University, where he was enrolled in the MBA program in the Quinlan School of Business, according to the university. He was also a financial analyst at Loyola in the Financial Services Office. Kiley said that the university would likely hold some type of memorial service for Evans in the near future.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
local, leah hope
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side 42 min ago
- Freeze hits Chicago area, snow expected Sunday 43 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 6 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- ComEd vault fire in West Loop
- Astor House tenants face eviction
- New church opens for fast-growing congregation
- Cancer patient without heat after power shut off
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault
- Dylan's electric guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Couples renew marriage vows at Field Museum
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Run Hotel With Grilling Area
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
6 min ago
- Freeze hits Chicago area, snow expected...
43 min ago
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side
42 min ago