Body found in Belmont Harbor ID'd as Christopher Evans: Loyola University
July 4, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The body found in Lake Michigan at Belmont Harbor has been identified as 25-year-old missing student Christopher Evans, Loyola University has confirmed.
Loyola University spokeswoman Maeve Kiley said Thursday afternoon that the body recovered from the lake "is Christopher Evans." She said Loyola officials received confirmation of that earlier Thursday afternoon.
A couple hours after the body was recovered on Thursday police canceled the missing person alert, saying that Evans was "no longer unaccounted for." Neither police nor the medical examiner's office would say yet if the body pulled from the water was Evans.
The body was discovered at 8:30 a.m. Thursday morning, a short distance from the water's edge. The Chicago Police Department's Marine Unit was initially called to the scene after a woman reported seeing a body floating in the water.
Evans, 25, was last seen early Sunday morning just a half a mile away from the harbor at a Lakeview bar. Friends said Evans was last seen running in the direction of the lake about 1:30 a.m. Sunday.
Evans was a part-time student at Loyola University, where he was enrolled in the MBA program in the Quinlan School of Business, according to the university. He was also a financial analyst at Loyola in the Financial Services Office. Kiley said that the university would likely hold some type of memorial service for Evans in the near future.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
local, leah hope
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school 44 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos