Body found in Belmont Harbor ID'd as Christopher Evans: Loyola University
July 4, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The body found in Lake Michigan at Belmont Harbor has been identified as 25-year-old missing student Christopher Evans, Loyola University has confirmed.
Loyola University spokeswoman Maeve Kiley said Thursday afternoon that the body recovered from the lake "is Christopher Evans." She said Loyola officials received confirmation of that earlier Thursday afternoon.
A couple hours after the body was recovered on Thursday police canceled the missing person alert, saying that Evans was "no longer unaccounted for." Neither police nor the medical examiner's office would say yet if the body pulled from the water was Evans.
The body was discovered at 8:30 a.m. Thursday morning, a short distance from the water's edge. The Chicago Police Department's Marine Unit was initially called to the scene after a woman reported seeing a body floating in the water.
Evans, 25, was last seen early Sunday morning just a half a mile away from the harbor at a Lakeview bar. Friends said Evans was last seen running in the direction of the lake about 1:30 a.m. Sunday.
Evans was a part-time student at Loyola University, where he was enrolled in the MBA program in the Quinlan School of Business, according to the university. He was also a financial analyst at Loyola in the Financial Services Office. Kiley said that the university would likely hold some type of memorial service for Evans in the near future.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
local, leah hope
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 33 min ago
- No re-trial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd 24 min ago
- Indiana schools delayed by cold snap
- Man arrested in shooting of Garfield Park pharmacist
- Chicago artist created pope's image for Time cover
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- Cozmanoff guilty in guard's hit-and-run death
- United Airlines keeps naming rights for United Center
- Golden Globe nominations announced 5 min ago
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
33 min ago
- ABC7 To Go, December 12, 2013
2 min ago