Fourth of July shootings kill at least 6 in last 24 hours
July 4, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- At least six people have been killed by gunshots in the last 24 hours, including a shooting involving police.
The violence began when police say a man in his 20's was killed Wednesday afternoon while sitting in a car near 87th and Loomis.
On Wednesday night in the Woodlawn neighborhood, three men were shot about 7:25 p.m. in the 6600 block of South Champlain Avenue, police said.
All three men showed up at St. Bernard Hospital without the help of paramedics, police said. One of the men, 26-year-old Ernest McMullen, was shot in the head and declared at dead 7:38 p.m., authorities said.
On Thursday, a man in his mid-30s was shot in the head about 12:05 p.m. in the 7300 block of South Wabash Avenue in the Greater Grand Crossing neighborhood and was dead on the scene, police said.
Another man was shot in the head about 12:20 p.m. Thursday in the 5600 block of South Western Avenue and taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn in critical condition. He was later pronounced dead.
Additionally, Chicago Police shot and critically wounded a 21-year-old man at about 1:10 p.m. Thursday in the 5600 block of South State Street, authorities said. The Cook County Medical Examiner's office confirmed he was later pronounced dead at Stroger Hospital.
Chicago police say a male in his 20s was shot multiple times at 600 South Francisco around 1:30 p.m. He was pronounced dead at Stroger.
Nobody is in custody for any of the murders.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3 9 min ago
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted 2 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 1 min ago
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
9 min ago
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually...
2 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket...
1 min ago