Chicago police warn of Hyde Park burglaries near Obama's home
July 5, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police are warning residents about a series of burglaries in the South Side Hyde Park neighborhood.
The incidents happened just blocks from President Barack Obama's home.
Police say the most recent incidents happened within one block of each other in this area at all hours of the day.
Two of the burglaries happened in the 5300-block of South Greenwood and one in the 5200-block of South Woodlawn.
Cleveland Robertson owns several buildings in the area. His apartment complex, less than a block from the President's home, was broken into twice just last month. And he is doing everything he can to prevent it.
"I put a new door, like a steel door, that cost me $2,100, then a fence around and a gate that cost me over $2,000," said Roberston, building owner.
Robertson said in his case, the suspects jimmied the doors to get in. And just this week, someone stole the hubcaps off of his car parked outside. Roberston says he feels helpless.
"I don't know, that's what I'd like to know, what am I supposed to do?" said Robertson.
Carol Parham has lived here for over 40 years. She, too, has been burglarized in the past.
"I left one window open and when I was coming home I saw someone coming down my front steps, and they took off and ran," said Parham, Hyde Park resident.
Police remind people to keep the area around your home well lit, and keep doors and windows secured.
But some of the incidents happened during the day, which is unsettling for some.
"The fact that it was happening as you said, at all hours of the day, is concerning as well since typically in the middle of the day I feel relatively comfortable having our windows open and not having all of the doors locked and secured," said Mary LaBelle, Hyde Park resident.
local, diane pathieu
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Schiller Park teen arrested, suspected in 30 Park Ridge car... 34 min ago
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery 54 min ago
- Man accused in sex assault of pregnant ex-girlfriend 7 min ago
- Flight from O'Hare slides off STL taxiway
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless
- Rod Blagojevich arrest marks 5th anniversary
- Computer science to become CPS core subject
- Police: Evanston drug deal might have led to armed robbery
- abcnews: Student Fatally Shot by Campus Police
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos