Chicago angler Johnny Wilkins attempts to break Guinness fishing record
July 5, 2013 (OAK BROOK, Ill.) (WLS) -- The founder of the Chicago Fishing School is going for a new world record on Friday.
Johnny Wilkins started fishing at the Lake View Nature Center in Oak Brook Terrace Friday morning.
He's hoping to break the Guinness World Record for the most fish caught by an angler in a 24-hour period.
The current record is 2,649.
To break that mark he needs to average about two fish a minute to break the record.
Wilkins says he just wants to show how great fishing can be in the Chicago area.
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed 45 min ago
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77