Metra Electric train strikes, kills worker on South Side
July 5, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Metra Electric train struck and killed a worker on Chicago's South Side Friday afternoon near 43rd and Lake Park.
Luis Mercado, 36, a trackman employed by Metra since May 2001, was struck and killed while doing track maintenance, according to a press release issued by Metra on Friday evening.
Metra said in the statement: "The entire Metra family is deeply saddened by this tragic incident and the loss of one of our own. We extend our deepest sympathy and condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Mercado."
Metra officials say Train 223 of the Blue Line Branch of the Metra Electric left Millennium Station at 1:15 p.m. At approximately 1:30 p.m. the train struck a male Metra worker who was performing track maintenance in the area. Metra says the circumstances surrounding the accident are under investigation.
Three tracks were closed for about three hours and reopened about 4:20 p.m. Some Metra Electric trains were canceled, but as of 5 p.m., Metra says trains are moving with delays.
metra news, local, john garcia
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy 1 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Video: Yelp reviews: Phony or Real?
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train 5 min ago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns 42 min ago
- Opening statements begin in general's sex trial
- Massachusetts bans 'upskirt' photos after ruling 20 min ago
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
1 min ago
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
5 min ago