Man charged with striking, dragging police officer on Lake Shore Drive
July 6, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 27-year-old South Side man has been charged with striking and then dragging a Chicago police officer with a vehicle Friday night.
The on-duty officer, assigned to the Gang Enforcement Unit, was struck and dragged by a vehicle about 10:45 p.m. near the 5300 block of South Lake Shore Drive, police News Affairs Officer Joshua Purkiss said.
The officer's partner then fired his weapon at the vehicle, but no one was struck, Purkiss said.
The offender fled the scene and the vehicle was recovered in the 6700 block of South Jeffery Boulevard, Purkiss said.
The suspected driver of that car, 27-year-old Christopher Hartzol, of the 8700 block of South Ridgeland Avenue, has been arrested and charged with two counts of aggravated battery to a police officer, according to police News Affairs Officer John Mirabelli.
Hartzol was also cited for driving over the speed limit and negligent driving, Mirabelli said. He was expected to appear for a bond hearing in court on Saturday.
The officer struck by the vehicle suffered non-life-threatening injuries and was treated and released from Northwestern Memorial Hospital, police said.
- Fire destroys Gary church, vacant building 36 min ago
- Fast-food workers protest low wages
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CTA Blue Line to receive $492M investment 24 min ago
- Richard Gillman gets 4 years in prison, 2 years of probation in... 10 min ago
- 2 sex assault attempts reported in Humboldt Park 29 min ago
- Coyote interrupts morning rush on I-55 3 min ago
- Homeowner tied up during La Grange Park robbery 20 min ago
- 2 men charged with felony mail theft 56 min ago
- Uptown fire forces residents out of apartments 7 min ago
- Woman, 23, missing from Lincoln Square
- 2 men arrested on drug charges
- Chicago Bears visit Washington IL as tornado communities brace...
- Coyote interrupts morning rush on I-55
3 min ago
- Fire destroys Gary church, vacant building
36 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos