Guinness fishing record gets away from Chicago angler
July 6, 2013 (OAK BROOK, Ill.) (WLS) -- We have an update on the quest for a fishing world record. Unfortunately Johnny Wilkins fell just short of his goal.
Wilkins was fishing for 24 hours until 7 Saturday morning at the Lake View Nature Center in Oak Brook Terrace.
He hoped to break the Guinness world record for the most fish caught by an angler in 24 hours. The current record is 2,649.
ABC7 News talked with Wilkins just after the 7 AM deadline and he said he caught 2,011.
Wilkins thinks some larger fish in the pond scared the smaller fish from biting.
He'll try again to break the record next year. There is still a silver lining, Wilkins used the event as a fundraiser for a number of area charities.
- Tanker truck rollover closes eastbound Indiana Toll Road
- Carbon monoxide injures 12 in Skokie
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated
- London theater balcony believed to have collapsed 8 min ago
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles
- Rogers Park stabbing seriously injures woman, 21
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools
- Teen dies day after Little Village shooting
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus