Colorado boy drowns in Homer Glen pool
July 8, 2013 (HOMER GLEN) (WLS) -- A 12-year-old suburban boy is dead after a canoeing accident in McHenry County.
It happened in Harvard Sunday night in a pond along Apple Valley Road.
A canoe with three boys inside capsized and after hearing the boys' screams, people who live near the pond rushed to help.
"We heard screaming, saw kids in the water," said Tyler Kurth. "I jumped in helped one get to the shore. The other swam to the shore. The third never came up."
Fire department divers later found the teenage boy in the bottom of the pond. The two other boys who made it to shore were not hurt.
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos