Kane Co. officer on leave after fatal shooting near Batavia
July 9, 2013 (BATAVIA, Ill.) (WLS) -- A Kane County sheriff's officer is on paid administrative leave after a shooting that left a man dead.
About 11:40 a.m. Monday, Kane County sheriff's deputies were called to 3S303 Elfstrom Trail in unincorporated Batavia Township for a man reportedly making suicidal threats.
Police say 52-year-old Luke Bulzak was outside his home with a rifle when officers arrived. Police say Bulzak pointed the weapon at officers when they asked him to drop the gun. Authorities say a sergeant shot Bulzak. He died hours later at Mercy Center Hospital in Aurora.
The sergeant has been with the sheriff's office for 20 years. Illinois State Police and the sheriff's office are investigating.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Deep freeze hits Chicago area, snow Sunday 50 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world 34 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 26 min ago
- ComEd vault fire in West Loop
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side
- New church opens for fast-growing congregation 53 min ago
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault
- Pearl Harbor bombing anniversary marked
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $297M
- United Airlines takes Starlight kids on trip to North Pole
- Lakeview runners strip down for 'Santa Speedo Run'
- Video: The Ditka you didn't know
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Run Hotel With Grilling Area
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
26 min ago
- Deep freeze hits Chicago area, snow Sunday
50 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in...
34 min ago