Kane Co. officer on leave after fatal shooting near Batavia
July 9, 2013 (BATAVIA, Ill.) (WLS) -- A Kane County sheriff's officer is on paid administrative leave after a shooting that left a man dead.
About 11:40 a.m. Monday, Kane County sheriff's deputies were called to 3S303 Elfstrom Trail in unincorporated Batavia Township for a man reportedly making suicidal threats.
Police say 52-year-old Luke Bulzak was outside his home with a rifle when officers arrived. Police say Bulzak pointed the weapon at officers when they asked him to drop the gun. Authorities say a sergeant shot Bulzak. He died hours later at Mercy Center Hospital in Aurora.
The sergeant has been with the sheriff's office for 20 years. Illinois State Police and the sheriff's office are investigating.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 24 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm 15 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
24 min ago