South Barrington fire causes major damage to home
July 9, 2013 (SOUTH BARRINGTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- Neighbors believe a lightning strike sparked a fire that caused major damage to a home in the northwest suburbs as big flames shot out of the roof of the home in South Barrington Tuesday afternoon.
The blaze destroyed the roof of the structure. Firefighters had to use tanker trucks to bring water to the area to fight the fire.
"We were in the house and we heard a big bang sound. And we came running out and we just saw something, it was a big bang sound," said neighbor Srinu Bommadevare. "We couldn't see anything at first, but a little later on, the fire started coming out. Our neighbor, the lady, just came running out."
Witnesses say within minutes of seeing lighting strike the home, flames were shooting up through the roof.
That's where witnesses believe the lightning struck and where the fire started.
Firefighters from numerous surrounding communities sent firefighters to help control the blaze.
They had to bring water in tanker trucks since the hydrants in the neighborhood are unusable.
A mother and two children were home when the fire started. All were able to get out safely.
The owner was able to get firefighters to salvage a few possessions, including a baseball pitching machine his eleven year old son uses.
"The fire started on the right side of the house and since there was a lack of water, it spread all over the roof and the whole roof is pretty much gone," said witness Blake Jacobs.
The 5,600-square-foot home is valued at $1.2 million, according to one estimate. Barrington Road was closed for about a mile stretch since the fire sparked a little after noon Tuesday and was reopened several hours later.
local, john garcia
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed 53 min ago
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to... 3 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77