Tony Rose memorial held at Winthrop Harbor Skate Park
July 9, 2013 (WLS) -- A memorial was held Tuesday night in the far north suburbs for Tony Rose, one of 19 firefighters killed while battling a wildfire in Arizona.
Rose grew up in Lake County and friends say he frequently visited the Winthrop Harbor Skate Park, where the memorial was held.
"It gives me pride to see this turnout and to see everybody here like this. Anthony would have been proud of it," Michael Sperry, father, said.
Rose attended Zion-Benton Township High School before moving to Arizona when he was sixteen. Family members say he found his calling when he became a firefighter.
Police will escort Rose's body to a Zion funeral home, where services will be held on Thursday evening.
- Snow falls as shoppers brave cold temps 21 min ago
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident 57 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters 43 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- ON DEMAND: ABC 7 Chicago's 'Heart and Soul'
- Man dies after Evanston shooting, car crash
- Illinois Tollway readies full fleet of snowplows
- Ice storm, sleet, deep freeze in Mid-Atlantic, East Coast areas 27 min ago
- Young singer with autism releases inspirational song
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- Oklahoma earthquake rattles state at magnitude 4.5
- Stranded hiker rescued from Tenn. waterfall ledge
- Kennedy Center Honors for Joel, MacLaine, Santana, Hancock,...
- abcnews: Man trapped in empty plane at Houston Airport
- Snow falls as shoppers brave cold temps
21 min ago