Woman accused of setting fire in domestic dispute
July 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A South Side woman remains in police custody Thursday afternoon, accused of setting her boyfriend's couch on fire during an argument.
The fire in the city's South Shore neighborhood near 71st and Jeffery spread and ended up injuring six people, including a child.
Just after 10:30 Wednesday night residents of a four-story South Shore apartment building got word their building was on fire.
"I just heard a lot of knocking on the door and when I got up I come to the hallway and everybody running out of the building saying there was a fire," said resident Christian Thompson.
The fire initially began in an apartment on the top floor.
Police say an injured man told them his girlfriend started it. She lit his couch on fire after the two got into an argument.
"It was contained to one apartment although it did break out of that apartment into the hallway which made things a little bit more difficult for our personnel," said Battalion Chief Kenneth Wojtecki.
Residents were forced out onto the street as the flames quickly spread out into the hallway.
Firefighters had to rescue several people from the upper floors.
"All I heard was a lady say, 'help, help,' and I kept looking and said, 'Let me see what's going on.' They say, 'fire,' and that it," said resident Sharon Scott.
Sammie Jones Jr. lives below the apartment where the fire started. His unit suffered severe water damage.
He says he not surprised by the news Thursday. He's heard the couple arguing several times in the past.
Sammie jones jr./resident "Fussing, arguing, like they're tussling or something like that," Jones said.
Some of the injured were taken to Jackson Park Hospital.
No one was seriously hurt.
Charges are pending against the 27-year-old woman.
south shore news, south shore fire, local
- Teen dead after car chase and shooting
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 1 min ago
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Police: 2 males found dead in South Side residence
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park 35 min ago
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house 8 min ago
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Woman dies after being rescued from Lake Michigan
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches 41 min ago
- Missing boy's body found off Mass. highway 56 min ago
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake