Woman accused of setting fire in domestic dispute
July 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A South Side woman remains in police custody Thursday afternoon, accused of setting her boyfriend's couch on fire during an argument.
The fire in the city's South Shore neighborhood near 71st and Jeffery spread and ended up injuring six people, including a child.
Just after 10:30 Wednesday night residents of a four-story South Shore apartment building got word their building was on fire.
"I just heard a lot of knocking on the door and when I got up I come to the hallway and everybody running out of the building saying there was a fire," said resident Christian Thompson.
The fire initially began in an apartment on the top floor.
Police say an injured man told them his girlfriend started it. She lit his couch on fire after the two got into an argument.
"It was contained to one apartment although it did break out of that apartment into the hallway which made things a little bit more difficult for our personnel," said Battalion Chief Kenneth Wojtecki.
Residents were forced out onto the street as the flames quickly spread out into the hallway.
Firefighters had to rescue several people from the upper floors.
"All I heard was a lady say, 'help, help,' and I kept looking and said, 'Let me see what's going on.' They say, 'fire,' and that it," said resident Sharon Scott.
Sammie Jones Jr. lives below the apartment where the fire started. His unit suffered severe water damage.
He says he not surprised by the news Thursday. He's heard the couple arguing several times in the past.
Sammie jones jr./resident "Fussing, arguing, like they're tussling or something like that," Jones said.
Some of the injured were taken to Jackson Park Hospital.
No one was seriously hurt.
Charges are pending against the 27-year-old woman.
south shore news, south shore fire, local
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014 47 min ago
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer 55 min ago
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 32 min ago
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
32 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day celebrations continue
59 min ago
- Grab a pint or legendary pizza in Beverly
54 min ago