Relatives ID body found in Englewood yard as Darryl Green, 16
July 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A distraught Juanita Bonner and her relatives come to the place where her nephew Darryl Green died. The 16- year old body was discovered a few hours ago in the Englewood neighborhood.
"He never goes anywhere. It's just so shocking for this to happen to anyone," said Juanita Green Bonner, victim's aunt.
His body was found behind a boarded up home in the 6500-block of South Damen in the West Englewood neighborhood.
"It's somebody's child. . .you know, just laying down on that ground, dead. You know, just another life gone," said Eola States, Englewood resident.
Green was found by officers face-down on a set of basement stairs of an abandoned building.
Although witnesses say there were no visible signs of trauma to the body, family members say police told them Darryl had been beaten to death. Investigators at the scene did not confirm any details.
Relatives say the Harper High School student stopped attending class and think he may have been targeted because of his refusal to join a gang.
local, evelyn holmes
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking