16 hurt in multi-vehicle crash on Tri-State in Gurnee | 3 children in critical condition
July 12, 2013 (GURNEE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A chain reaction crash involving six vehicles on the Tri-State Tollway near Gurnee has injured 16, and left three children in critical condition.
The crash involved several families on their way to the Six Flags Great America amusement park in Gurnee.
Dr. Bruce Hyman told ABC7 that 16 people were brought to Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville, and three children were admitted in critical condition.
Some other children involved in the accident have already been released from the hospital.
"It was the first one that I was ever in, I didn't hear much, I just heard the airbags come in and then the back of the car that was flipped over hit us," Alina Lara, 9, car accident victim.
"There was a big semi-truck, it hit the car behind us, and then the car behind us hit the car," said Jacob Watkins, 6, car accident victim.
One child remains in Libertyville, and the other two critically-injured children were airlifted to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, Dr. Hyman said.
local, theresa gutierrez
- 2 hurt in North Side crash
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- 6 shot at party in Austin
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- PM won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land 47 min ago
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Malaysia jet may have turned back 3 min ago
- No consensus on notifying victims of data breaches 16 min ago
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos