16 hurt in multi-vehicle crash on Tri-State in Gurnee | 3 children in critical condition
July 12, 2013 (GURNEE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A chain reaction crash involving six vehicles on the Tri-State Tollway near Gurnee has injured 16, and left three children in critical condition.
The crash involved several families on their way to the Six Flags Great America amusement park in Gurnee.
Dr. Bruce Hyman told ABC7 that 16 people were brought to Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville, and three children were admitted in critical condition.
Some other children involved in the accident have already been released from the hospital.
"It was the first one that I was ever in, I didn't hear much, I just heard the airbags come in and then the back of the car that was flipped over hit us," Alina Lara, 9, car accident victim.
"There was a big semi-truck, it hit the car behind us, and then the car behind us hit the car," said Jacob Watkins, 6, car accident victim.
One child remains in Libertyville, and the other two critically-injured children were airlifted to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, Dr. Hyman said.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Woman rescued from Lake Michigan near Jackson
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake