16 hurt in multi-vehicle crash on Tri-State in Gurnee | 3 children in critical condition
July 12, 2013 (GURNEE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A chain reaction crash involving six vehicles on the Tri-State Tollway near Gurnee has injured 16, and left three children in critical condition.
The crash involved several families on their way to the Six Flags Great America amusement park in Gurnee.
Dr. Bruce Hyman told ABC7 that 16 people were brought to Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville, and three children were admitted in critical condition.
Some other children involved in the accident have already been released from the hospital.
"It was the first one that I was ever in, I didn't hear much, I just heard the airbags come in and then the back of the car that was flipped over hit us," Alina Lara, 9, car accident victim.
"There was a big semi-truck, it hit the car behind us, and then the car behind us hit the car," said Jacob Watkins, 6, car accident victim.
One child remains in Libertyville, and the other two critically-injured children were airlifted to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, Dr. Hyman said.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State 32 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL 29 min ago
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse 35 min ago
- $7 million shoplifting suspects face detention hearing 19 min ago
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death 5 min ago
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- California earthquake centered in Eureka measures 6.9 magnitude
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- 7 in :77