16 hurt in multi-vehicle crash on Tri-State in Gurnee | 3 children in critical condition
July 12, 2013 (GURNEE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A chain reaction crash involving six vehicles on the Tri-State Tollway near Gurnee has injured 16, and left three children in critical condition.
The crash involved several families on their way to the Six Flags Great America amusement park in Gurnee.
Dr. Bruce Hyman told ABC7 that 16 people were brought to Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville, and three children were admitted in critical condition.
Some other children involved in the accident have already been released from the hospital.
"It was the first one that I was ever in, I didn't hear much, I just heard the airbags come in and then the back of the car that was flipped over hit us," Alina Lara, 9, car accident victim.
"There was a big semi-truck, it hit the car behind us, and then the car behind us hit the car," said Jacob Watkins, 6, car accident victim.
One child remains in Libertyville, and the other two critically-injured children were airlifted to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, Dr. Hyman said.
local, theresa gutierrez
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 13 min ago
- Brief warmup followed by snow
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday 31 min ago
- 11th District Republicans hope to unseat Bill Foster 10 min ago
- Chicagoan helping to empower college students 27 min ago
- Cops: Sober man testing vehicle breathalyzer causes crash
- Woodstock man accused in 8 rapes waives jury trial 23 min ago
- Chicago woman wins $4M lotto prize on her birthday 16 min ago
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- Bears agree to 1-year deal with Tillman 59 min ago
- Video: Time-Lapse Video: Snow Melt in Naperville 18 min ago
- abcnews: Cops Seek Bad Witch Who Stole Ruby Red...
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
13 min ago
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
31 min ago
- 11th District Republicans hope to unseat...
10 min ago