Race to Mackinac under way
July 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago tradition for 105 years, 350 boats and thousands of sailors are all competing in the Race to Mackinac.
Family and friends watched as the boats leave the shore near the Chicago Yacht Club and pass Navy Pier.
"It's great weather it's a great event and we just thought we'd come and see all of the boats and knowing we had a horse in the race we wanted to see them head off on their way," said Damla Gerhart.
"It's a labor of love, it really is," said Jim Murphy, aboard Wind Shadow.
And it starts with a lot of preparation.
"Every year it's a different year, different weather conditions you never know what can pop up," said race participant Danny Burleson.
Once on deck, members of the team try and get their head in the game.
"You've got to concentrate a lot for a long time," said race participant Spencer Channell.
But also make sure to have a great time along the way.
"It's strikingly beautiful," Murphy said. "At one point in the race you go into shore up around the Manitaw Islands. You see the dunes it doesn't look like Michigan it looks like you are in paradise."
Some of the boats are expected to reach Mackinac on Monday.
- Police officer shot in Arlington Heights 7 min ago
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school
- Block 37 developers indicted on federal fraud charges
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Our Lady of Guadalupe celebration wraps up in Des Plaines
- Feds crack down on unsafe buses
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Rally held to support CTA program that helps ex-convicts
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party
- Police officer shot in Arlington Heights
7 min ago
- Admitted Chicago terrorist's 'hate mail'
12 min ago