Woman charged in beating death of 8-year-old granddaughter
July 14, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The grandmother of the 8-year-old child found beaten to death Friday inside a West Side apartment has been charged with the child's death.
Helen Ford, 51, is being held without bond.
Investigators say she was taking care of Gizzell Ford Friday when paramedics found the girl dead, her body covered with blunt force injuries and cuts.
The child's father was also home but investigators say he is bed-ridden and incapable of inflicting the kinds of injuries evident on the child's body.
"If somebody else would have saw what was going on they probably would told us, 'Hey you got to get this little girl out of here, they're beating her up.' Something, because I know we would have done something about it," said Ivan Celgado, the victim's uncle.
The Department of Child and Family Services says there were two other kids also in Helen Ford's care. They have been taken into protective custody.
- Falling ice triggered by latest winter storm
- Young girl killed by falling bookcase in Northbrook
- 3-year old killed in Rogers Park fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Stone lions vandalized at Chicago museum
- Police: Woman sexually assaulted on Northwest Side
- Pre-high blood pressure can increase stroke risk, study finds
- Snow carving left by artist at State, Van Buren
- Political consultant hit by falling ice
- Chicago River to be dyed green this weekend despite ice
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- Chicago students take part in poetry festival
- Video: Ice chunks undulate on Lake Michigan
- abcnews: Amazon Accused of Cheating on Free Shipping