Woman charged in beating death of 8-year-old granddaughter
July 14, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The grandmother of the 8-year-old child found beaten to death Friday inside a West Side apartment has been charged with the child's death.
Helen Ford, 51, is being held without bond.
Investigators say she was taking care of Gizzell Ford Friday when paramedics found the girl dead, her body covered with blunt force injuries and cuts.
The child's father was also home but investigators say he is bed-ridden and incapable of inflicting the kinds of injuries evident on the child's body.
"If somebody else would have saw what was going on they probably would told us, 'Hey you got to get this little girl out of here, they're beating her up.' Something, because I know we would have done something about it," said Ivan Celgado, the victim's uncle.
The Department of Child and Family Services says there were two other kids also in Helen Ford's care. They have been taken into protective custody.
- Bitter cold expected to last through weekend
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 47 min ago
- Northern Illinois Huskies fall to Bowling Green 47-27
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Vigil held for Khaseem Greene's cousin killed in NJ
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
47 min ago
- Let's Dish: Chocolate Crepes
43 min ago