Blanding's turtles may - slowly - grow in the wild with help of Brookfield Zoo
July 16, 2013 (BROOKFIELD, Ill.) (WLS) -- Brookfield Zoo is breeding and rearing endangered Blanding's turtles for release back into the wild.
Blanding's turtles are endangered in Illinois, and threatened nationwide, according to the zoo. Therefore, Brookfield Zoo created a breed and release program to help the wild population grow.
This fall, 12 turtles will be placed in DuPage County forest preserves.
Blanding's turtles have an approximate 2-percent chance of reaching maturity because of predators, like raccoons and herons. The turtles that live at Brookfield Zoo's Dragon Fly Marsh will be released after they've grown past their vulnerable stage.
Typically, turtles raised in captivity have an even lower survival rate than their wild counterparts. So Brookfield Zoo is taking certain precautions with the Blanding's turtles, such as having them hunt for their food, which consists of slugs and snails and small fish; and staying outside during all the seasons.
The zoo also plans to house 30 to 40 female turtles at an off-exhibit breeding space.
Blanding's turtles can live 80 to 85 years, but don't breed until they're 13 to 15 years old. That slow maturation; the fact they lay a small number of eggs- about a dozen compared the 60 or 70 other turtles lay; and an increase in predators has led to the population decline.
brookfield zoo, mathie
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Woman falls on CTA tracks, rescued by bystanders
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 10 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 10 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Free pizza Friday at new Lakeview restaurant
- Cousin of Mass. gov, from Rockford, among 8 getting commutations
- Photos: Target Credit Card Breach: What to do if...
- Pastor defrocked after officiating son's gay marriage
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
10 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
10 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos