Chicago gas prices rising fast, hit drivers with 27-cent increase over last week
July 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- In Illinois, gas prices have jumped 25 cents for a gallon of regular unleaded in the last week, and in the Chicago metro area, 27 cents. A gallon of gas will now cost Chicago drivers, on average, $4.11.
Brian Samocki fills his pack with pork sandwiches, and then he's off. It's the life of a food delivery guy: back and forth between restaurants and customer's homes. They go through a lot of gas, and when prices spike as they have in the last week or two, it affects the bottom line.
"With what I make, it hurts a little," said Samocki, delivery driver, DeliveryMyGrub.com.
"Makes it a challenge, affects their bottom line, our own as well," said Jimmy Griggs, DeliverMyGrub.com
Gas prices have spiked up dramatically in the last week in the Chicago area and experts are predicting the price will continue to rise for the foreseeable future. They say instability in Egypt is one contributing factor. On Capitol Hill Tuesday, the head of AAA broke the news to senators.
That's despite a dramatic increase in domestic oil prediction in recent years. Five years ago, the U.S. produced 3.9 million barrels a day. This year, the number is nearly twice that amount, and drivers have taken notice.
"When I use premium gas prices, that's when I really feel the pinch in my pocket," said driver Meghann Rivera.
Updated gas prices around the country pop up constantly on Patrick Dehaan's computer. His website, GasBuddy.com, identifies the lowest priced gas in any given area.
"The more volatile prices become, the more people log on, look to save," said DeHaan, senior petroleum analyst, GasBuddy.com.
For more information on gas prices in your area, visit: www.gasbuddy.com
local, john garcia
- 5 injured in Roseland bus stop accident
- Illinois mumps outbreak puts health officials on alert
- CFD rescues elderly man from Roseland house fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Carol Stream man found guilty of child sex abuse
- Missing Aurora teen mom, baby girl found safe
- Pitbull added to Illinois State Fair lineup
- Car crashes into Richton Park currency exchange
- CTA suing taggers, parents for graffiti cleanup
- Bicyclist killed in Roselle identified as Efrain Diaz-Torres
- Blue Angels to return for Air and Water Show
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- Photos: Earth Day 2014
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos