Police looking for driver accused of killing man in hit-and-run on 77th birthday
July 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police are looking for help in a deadly hit-and-run on the city's South Side.
Arthur Johnson, 77, was struck and killed Wednesday morning as he crossed the street at 83rd and Racine.
Witnesses say a dark-colored Mercedes sped north on Racine moments after hitting 77-year-old Arthur Johnson. It was his birthday, and relatives say he was on how way to buy a morning paper, his normal mo rning routine, when the car hit and flipped him in the air. Dorothy Hunter-Brown says she witnessed it.
"She just hit him, she didn't slow down, she just hit him. . . She knocked him straight up in the air," said Hunter-Brown, witness.
She say she believes the driver was a young woman, and another woman was in the passenger seat. Relatives say people in the neighborhood knew Johnson as Uncle Boo because he looked after everyone.
"He didn't deserve that, he was just the kindest person you could ever meet. He would give you the shirt off his back," said Joyce Rufus, victim's niece.
"They took away a life from me that helped me so much," said Mike Rufus, victim's relative.
Despite help from cameras and witnesses, police so far have yet to find the driver. The community alert they have distributed shows a dark-colored sedan similar to the one the suspect was driving.
"That's all I need him is to turn himself in, to get all this over with take some grieving off the family," said Hunter-Brown.
Police estimate the vehicle involved to have been a dark-colored Mercedes with a model year between 2002-2005. They believe the car has damage to its hood and windshield on the passenger side.
local, john garcia
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault 18 min ago
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire 38 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 25 min ago
- Child struck, killed by car in Whiting, Ind. 8 min ago
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- ComEd seeks rate hike to help pay for Smart Grid 16 min ago
- CTA eyes Red Line extension proposals 11 min ago
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours 52 min ago
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- I-Team: Warning about home loans
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos